Monday, March 16, 2009

Transplanting Tomatoes

The time has come, I can not put it off any longer. The tomato seedlings have developed "true leaves". I must transplant immediately.
I made a trip to Lowe's to purchase a bigger light. The grow lights are ok for starting seeds but I felt I needed stronger light for my transplants. This was a nightmare in itself, I bought a cheap shop light and two bulbs, I was so anxious to get home and put them up.
I headed out to the ToadShed and hung up my NEW light and inserted the NEW bulbs, flicker, flicker nothing, hmm I thought, maybe it takes a few minutes to heat up, and so I waited and waited and nothing! I switched out the bulbs and still nothing. I would have to make another trip to Lowe's, but not tonight. I stopped on my way home from work, ran in and bought another light. I planned to bring the dud back later. I hurried home and unpacked the new light, and it worked immediately. i was pleased.
Next day- I went out to the shed to check on my seedlings, when I opened the door I could not believe my eyes, the light was out! I checked to make sure that somehow it had not unplugged itself while I was away, I then checked the bulbs and noticed they were now blown! I guess it goes without saying that I was none to happy. My poor hubby had to listen to my ranting and raving all night.( sorry D )
Luckily the next day, was my off day. I repackaged BOTH lights and the bulbs and headed off to Lowe's for the 4th time. I picked out a more expensive light and it took T8 bulbs, so using my refund, I had 4 cents left. The news light came right on and has been working great.

Now, to get on with my post, didn't mean to rattle on and on.
I gathered up my soil and pots and began transplanting. I really don't enjoy picking off the weaker seedlings at all. Now my tomatoes actually look and smell like tomatoes and my broccoli is looking pretty good too! I am very pleased. I spent most of Saturday inside the garden shed, but I didn't mind because it was cold, cloudy and raining and What better way to spend the day?

7 comments:

RainGardener said...

Hi Michelle,
Well your tomato plants look good. I'll have to check back and see how they did in the end. Probably just wonderful - everyone seems to do well with seeds but me. ;-)

Cameron (Defining Your Home) said...

wow - I am so impressed! You've been very busy.

Cameron

Chandramouli S said...

SO MANY! Now, I'm not jealous but moved! I see you're REALLY busy! Happy Gardening!

Machelle said...

Linda,Cameron and Chandramouli,
I am so surprised that they have made it this far, but I have been babying them a bit. I have just never had any luck starting seeds inside so this was a challenge indeed.

Dave said...

That's very frustrating getting bad lights! The tomatoes look good. Your persistence will pay off!

Ginger said...

Your seedlings look great! I need to look into those rope lights... my bell pepper, eggplant and basil seeds have utterly failed due to temperature, while the rest of my seeds/seedlings are thriving.
I like your blog! I'll be back!

Vegetable Gardening said...

I agree, your tomato plants look look. I will surely visit your blog more often.